Food Pantry - Sundays 1-3 p.m.
The Stroudwater Food Pantry began in 2015 as our church gained a more radical awareness that our mission to reach the lost begins in our home city. Food insecurity is an easy concern to over look yet it is a critical problem in our society today.
Working with Food Retailers, Food Banks, Corporate food drives, Personal donations and Federal programs, the Pantry recovers, purchases, and receives donations to be given away. Last year over 68 tons of food were distributed to 561 families, feeding more than 1,800 people.
HOW CAN I HELP?
There are six major ways that you can support and become a part of this ministry.
1. FOOD DONATIONS. Food donations of non-perishable items are always welcome. They can be dropped off at the church during regular business hours, or by appointment. (Sun. 11-12:30, Mon-Fri 9:00-2:30). call 207-200-5985
2. FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS. The PANTRY has access to Food banks and Federal programs whereby we can purchase food items for pennies on the dollar. For example a box of cereal for .15 cents. Your money goes a lot further in our hands then if you tried to purchase the same items commercially. This is one of the best ways to support us.
3. PICK-UP DRIVERS. If you have a valid drivers license and a insured vehicle that has reasonable cargo space (big trunk and back seat, hatchback, SUV, pick-up, or van) then we have a ministry for you! Every Friday morning from 8:00 to 9:30a.m. our teams go to retail vendors to pick up recovered food. It is then brought to the church and delivered to be processed for distribution.
4. RECOVERED FOOD PROCESSORS. Each Friday morning, as the deliveries of recovered food arrive, volunteers weigh, sort, package and stock the food items. This process runs from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m..
5. DISTRIBUTION TEAM. Food distribution to the general public occurs on Sundays every week from 1:00-3:00pm. Volunteers are need to help set up and tear down the facility, help with registration and intake, process orders, distribute items, and a host of sundry services.
6. LAST MILE PROGRAM. The Last Mile program is a food delivery service to shut ins. Orders are processed, loaded into our delivery van and taken to shut-ins (private cars are also used). Volunteers must have a clean driving record, valid license, and feel comfortable handling a cargo van.
For further information:
Check out STROUDWATER PANTRY on FACEBOOK or call Doug Horner @ 207-200-5985.